http://cupcakelovechallenge.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-are-mother-and-daughter-living-300.html

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Erin: Roasted Banana Cupcake

When I told people that I was making roasted banana everyone gave me the same "ewwwww" face but you know what these were SOOOOOO YUMMY!
I would make them again and again.
It would be a really good cupcake for a brunch.
Mmmmmmm
My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
The thing is that it only made 12 cupcakes as opposed to the other recipes that made over 30.

I chose The Roasted Banana Cupcake(on page 141) because it just sounded yummy to me and the frosting didn't seem to complicated.

First you have to roast three ripe bananas at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Just in case you were wondering what roasted bananas looked like...

Then sift 2 cups cake flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt. I took Megan's idea of using a whisk to "sift" because I haven't gotten a sifter yet. As a matter of fact sifter, whisk and this are all on my Mother's Day gift list. Last year this was on my Mother's Day list...what a difference a year makes:)

After I sifted my dry mixtures, I creamed 1 stick unsalted butter, 3/4 cup sugar and 3 egg yolks. Then I added my roasted bananas. I then added my flour mixture in three batches alternating with 1/2 cup of sour cream. Then I added 1 tsp vanilla.
I then took my mixture and put it in another bowl, cleaned out my mixer bowl and then beat 3 egg whites until they were peaking.

Honestly this made me a little nervous because I am still a little scared of meringue after my strawberry cupcake experience. But luckily it was rather easy and once my "meringue" was peaked I folded that into my batter. Then I placed my batter in my liners filling them all the way to the top(even though the recipe says 3/4 the way) and baked them for 20 minutes rotating half way through at 350 degrees.

While baking I mixed together 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar(sifted)
2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of honey
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
To make the frosting


Soooo easy but soooo yummy. I actually added just a little more cinnamon.

The cupcakes were so yummy nice and warm right out of the oven. I would almost make them again and just put a little butter on them.

The next morning I put the frosting on and topped it with a banana....

I think I might be getting the hang of this :)

Over all I would say this recipe was relatively easy.
The taste was AMAZING!
I shared my cupcake love with the girls at church. Everyone seemed to love them and said they were better than last weeks. It seems that the frosting was the biggest hit. I think it's the hint of honey and cinnamon that isn't overwhelming. You almost don't taste it until after you have swallowed.

Next week I am making some cupcakes for a friends daughters birthday, for my book club friends and for a womens shelter. I am still trying to figure out which one I am going to make but I think I might try the Orange-Vanilla Bean, Yellow Buttermilk and peanut butter chocolate swirl...mmmmm.


3 comments:

  1. As one of your taste testers, I can vouch for these ones. They really were very yummy! And I don't even like bananas! I think that I liked them because they weren't too bananaish flavored and then the frosting (I picked off the banana slice) was a really good compliment, I could taste the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried this one yet. I can't wait. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to taste one of these next time you make them:-)

    ReplyDelete