http://cupcakelovechallenge.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-are-mother-and-daughter-living-300.html

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Erin: Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Frosting

My poor mom has been completely occupied taking care of her poor mom this week so she hasn't been able to make any cupcakes. Hopefully my grandma will be feeling better this week!

I chose this recipe(page 26) because I was making it for a little girls 5th birthday(more on that later) and they seemed like a yummy take on a more traditional white cake.

I made these Friday night just hours after stepping off a 5 day(very rocky) cruise. I was literally swaying in the kitchen as I was trying make these. It was....interesting.

Looking down at the book proved to be a bit of a challenge so I popped in a Dramamine and put on my sea sick wrist bands and got to work.
This recipe called for course salt. This is the first recipe that asked for course salt. I was tempted to just use regular salt but I didn't want to mess these up. SO I forked out the $$ for stinking course salt to use (1 1/2 tsp). So here is my question to the bakers out there.
1)What does course salt do?
2)What will happen if I don't use it?
I guess you could combine those two questions but honestly I am still a little loopy over here so my mind isn't working exactly right.
ANYWAYS.
(I was going to put down the recipe but like I said I am not all there right now. So if you would like me to put down the recipe let me know and I will go ahead and post it later)

I got this little doohickey when I got married almost 7 years ago and didn't even realize what it was! But I found it very helpful in separating eggs. I am most certainly going to use this in the future.
This made a LOT of cupcakes. Which is awesome for a birthday party. The recipe says 36 but I am finding that I like to fill the liners up a little more in order to achieve that cupcake top so I wound up with 28(lost two to the floor...oops)

The cupcakes were pretty tasty. You could really taste the buttermilk in it.
It almost reminded me of a fluffy pancake.
The frosting is more of a traditional vanilla frosting.


I gave my cupcake love to Miss Regan Presley who had a birthday earlier this week.
Julie(Regans mom) is a super mom who I felt could use a little help this week and I was SUPER excited to be able to share some cupcake love with her!

All in all I would say that the recipe was medium/easy. Maybe I found it more challenging because I was dizzy but I think it is worth the little extra effort because I am finding that the box cupcake mixes just don't taste as good to me anymore.
I have a snobby tongue now I guess :)
I put a big star next to this page because I will be making this one again!

4 comments:

  1. I think I heard once on the cooking channel that they use course salt some times because it is stronger and you can use less. I heard that if you substitute regular salt that you have to use more and really who knows how to calculate the difference:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again!!! They were soooo yummy!!!!!
    BIG HUGS my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the recipe calls for coarse salt you can use regular but you use less regular salt. When measuring coarse salt because it has large granules there is less salt. Where with regular salt you can fit more into the teaspoon.
    Tip: Instead of buying buttermilk you can make your own to save money.
    1 cup Milk
    1 Tablespoon White Vinegar (or lemon juice)
    Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it call for course salt, I use Kosher salt (way, way, cheaper). Actually I use Kosher salt in all my baking and cooking. Ina Garten (whom I adore) does the same thing. And I always use salted butter, instead of unsalted. It never comes out too salty and gives a good flavor. You NEED salt when baking.

    ReplyDelete