http://cupcakelovechallenge.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-are-mother-and-daughter-living-300.html

Friday, May 7, 2010

Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes

So my first attempt at these cupcakes failed miserably.
I did several things wrong and I had to tweak the recipe a bit.
So here we go.
Page 118.
I chose these because who doesn't love peanut butter and chocolate?

First off combine 2/3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.

Then take your mixing bowl set it on top of a boiling pot of water and combined 1 stick butter(I cut them in really small cubes so they melted quicker) and Martha says put in 4 ounces of semi sweet chocolates and 2 ounces of unsweetened. NOW the first time I did this I followed exactly what Martha said. But see Martha must be a bitter lover because these turned out way too bitter for my taste SO this time around I added only one ounce of unsweetened and 5 ounces of semi sweet.

Then once everything is mixed in and cooled add in 3/4 cup sugar and 3 large eggs. Then stir in vanilla and flour mixture.
Don't you love my motion sickness wrist band? I was still rocking from my 5 day cruise.

Then you place about 2 tablespoons of mixture in the liners.
Then in a different bowl you combine 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 cup confection sugar, 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla. NOW the second time around I actually added more sugar because I felt that the peanut butter needed to be a little more sweet.
You then put the peanut butter mixture on top of the chocolate mixture and then add another spoonful of chocolate on top of that making a chocolate peanut butter sandwich so to speak. Then take a toothpick and swirl it around to get the whole swirl effect.

Now when making these you really can't fill them up to high. That was my biggest problem when making it the first time. They don't rise like a normal cupcake. Now the first time I made them, even though they looked horrible I took them to my book club girls....

(we read The Help and that is me holding Minny's pie)
They love me even if I serve them nasty cupcakes. :)
Even thought the general consensus was that they were pretty good. Not good, but pretty good.
The second time they turned out much better and I served them to my other book club girls(sorry no picture) and they all loved them. My husband who tried both batches said that the second batch was much better and was his favorite cupcake by far. Which isn't saying too much because he isn't a fan of fruit cupcakes and that is what I have been making :)

So overall I would say that they were a bit tricky. Only because I had to make them twice before they tasted good.
As I said I gave my cupcake love to all my book club girls.
Now tomorrow I am attempting the Orange-Vanilla Bean Cupcakes.
I think these will either be really good or horrible.
It's by far the most complicated recipe to date.
I am doing my studying tonight in order to prepare for tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

PS has anyone ever candied oranges before?

No comments:

Post a Comment