http://cupcakelovechallenge.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-are-mother-and-daughter-living-300.html

Thursday, May 13, 2010

UGH!!!!

Has anyone made Martha's Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting??
I swear every stinking time I make it comes out runny.
Every flippin stinking time.
I am on my third batch as I type.
Two batches down the sink.
It's very very fruserating.
So if you have made it
Or you have some ideas
Please oh please
walk me through it.
I seem to be completely and totally helpless in this department.
Ugh!

Recipe
Combine 5 large egg whites, 1 cup plus 2 tbl of sugar and pinch of salt in a heat proof bowl of a standing mixer and set on top of a simmering pan of water mixing continuously. (done)

Remove once the mixture is rubbery to the touch (done)

Attach bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Starting on low gradually increasing to medium-high whisk until stiff peaks form. Continue mixting until mixture is fluffy and glossy and completely cool. (done)

Which I feel like the moment I add the butter it get's all liquid.
With mixer on medium-low speed add 4 stick of butter one tlb spoon at a time. Once all butter has been added whisk in 1 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Switch to paddle attachment and continue beating on low speed until all air bubbles are eliminated about two minutes.

Ps-If you leave a comment talking about how easy it is and how wonderful yours always turn out I might have to mentally slap you upside the head.

4 comments:

  1. erin, check this out:
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-swiss-meringue-buttercream-icing-239920/
    By the way, I think this idea of cupcakes is so fun! I can't wait to see it in year when you are a pro!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie!
    After watching that I think I am going to give it another try. I see where I can change a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well at least one of us is attempting Martha's recipes. I'm hoping to get back to it next week. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  4. So saw the picture on the post above were the pots are in the sink. Are you using your sautee pan for the bottom of your double boiler? That could be part of the problem. Your mixing bowl should be sitting above the water and not touching it. Use a sauce pan and it doesn't have to be very big, it should comfortably hold the mixing bowl several inches off the bottom. Please ignore me if you already know this. Good luck. I am considering trying this frosting. FYI my favorite in the book so far is Snikerdoodle. YUM!

    ReplyDelete