http://cupcakelovechallenge.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-are-mother-and-daughter-living-300.html

Monday, May 31, 2010

Martha's Meyer Lemon Cupcakes

I was shopping at Sprouts and I found Meyer lemons on sale so I decided to make one of Martha's favorites on page 121.
They really must be one of Martha's favorites since they make 42 cupcakes!!!

I personally have never seen/tasted/heard of Meyer lemons before and to me they looked like tangerines.

whisk together 3 1/2 cups flour, 1.2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt and two tablespoons finely graded lemon zest together in a bowl. Then in a mixer mix together 3 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter and 3 cups sugar. Once pale and fluffy beat in 8 oz of cream cheese. Reduce to low speed and mix in 7 large eggs one at a time. Then beat in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tsp vanilla. Then put into liners and and cook at 325 for 28 minutes rotating halfway.

Then for the lemon curd combined 2 whole eggs, 8 egg whites and 2/3 cup lemon juice in a heat proof bowl over simmering water. Cook, whisking together constantly until mixture is thick and coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and mix in 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces. Then strain through a small sieve into another bowl. I made this all the night before so you then need to put a piece of parchment paper pressing directly on top of the curd to prevent a film from forming.

Now you know how when you eat something you really like then immediately get the stomach flu you no longer like it? Well that is my relationship with Martha's Meyer Lemon cupcakes. I ate a few that night which is WAY more than any other cupcake I have made. But they were light and fluffy and.....blah sorry I can't even talk about it honestly. About 10pm that night I came down with the stomach bug that was floating around our house and....well...let's just say that I will never eat a Meyer lemon again.

But I am so dedicated to my cupcake love that I dragged my pale pathetic butt out of bed and and breathed only through my nose pulled out the lemon curd out and put it in a pastry bag to insert lemon curd into each cupcake and then let it overflow to the top. It might have looked better if I didn't feel so crappy but hey it is what it is. I was so anxious to get these cupcakes out of my house that I put them in my holder and placed them outside for my friend Amber to take to church and hand out to the girls.
On a level of difficulty I would say that these were fairly easy.
I can't talk about the taste.
My buds are a bit tainted.
But everyone else said they were good.
My husband still swears the raspberry cheesecakes are the best so I am going to have to make those again this week and I like the idea of sticking something in the middle if they are sunken again.

And can I just say how much fun this whole project has been? I have gotten SO much better at baking. Even though I still have a long way to go I feel like I am making progress and I am really excited about that.

1 comment:

  1. good for you sweetie!! I should be able to contribute within the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete